top of page

Memorial DAY Tax Tips for the Armed Forces

Updated: May 23, 2020

Every last Monday of May we have honored the Men and Women who have sacrificed their lives so that we can continue to live the “American Dream.” In my opinion, we should always have these hero’s on our hearts and minds as their sacrifices should never be in vain. Serving in the military entails leaving your family sometimes and going to far way lands not knowing if you will make it back. Although you (men and women) deserve a lot more, here are a few tax tips to keep in mind.

  1. Extra time to file

  2. Service members stationed abroad have until June 15 to file a FEDERAL income tax return and those in Combat zones have until 180 days after they leave their combat zone.

  3. Duty- Related Travel

  4. Unreimbursed travel expenses for reservist traveling more than 100 miles from home can be deducted even if you don’t itemize, using Forms 2106 or 2106-EZ

  5. Moving Expenses (Active Duty)

  6. Unreimbursed moving expenses incurred due to permanent change of station (PCS) can be deducted on Form 3903.

  7. Tax Payments Delayed

  8. Service members can qualify to have income tax payments that are due, delayed before or during their period of service up to 180 days.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice, you are appreciated.

16 views0 comments
bottom of page